Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Old 97's, Triple Door June 14th


This entry will be much like my feelings on the show I saw…unimpressive

Ok, so maybe that’s a bit harsh. They’re not bad; they’re just not my cup of tea; which frankly surprises me, seeing as how I grew up in a house of rock and or roll(me Da); and the occasional classic country injection(me Ma), not that bullshit country they make today. It was a free show at the Triple Door; I was curious and had a free Saturday, so I went to peep them. They sounded good, but I’m pretty much of the opinion that it would be royally fucking hard to sound bad at that venue. I was sitting there thinking to myself, “Wow, I can fully expect to see the ‘Footloose’ kids rocking out in their Midwest 80’s prom attire to this band”. Harsh again? Perhaps; but with Rhett Miller’s Bruce Springsteen booty shaking moves mixed with a southern rock-country influence, it left me thinking that my dad would LOVE their sound. He’s got a great voice, as does Murry Hammond, and the rest of the band were talented as well. So I must give them props, because they seem to be doing well for themselves after 14+ years of music making history.

On a side note of the fellow attendees…I expected to see more greasers or rockabilly folk there, but alas not so much. Maybe this is what those types look like as they get older, have kids and mature into career and life. Hell, I don’t even have my Betty Page bangs anymore and I love me some rocka-silly music.

But any time I’m in Texas, driving my 72’ Chevy pick’em up truck with my bestest dog buddy Bandit, mashing my boot on the accelerator, and I get the sudden urge to cut loose in a barn with wicked dance moves and gymnastics…I’ll rock out to Old 97’s

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...